The University of Maryland Libraries seeks a creative, enthusiastic, and service-oriented entry level or early career professional for the position of First Year Experience Librarian. Reporting to the Head of Teaching Services, this position will contribute to the expansion of a student-centered information literacy program for first-year students by designing, creating, coordinating, teaching, and assessing instruction for large general education courses and living-learning programs. The incumbent will work collaboratively with colleagues in the Research and Learning Division to develop online, blended, and mobile learning objects and teaching materials.
The First Year Experience Librarian is responsible for three categories: 1) librarianship, 2) service and 3) scholarship and creativity. Librarianship includes supporting the Libraries information literacy program, especially for first year students, liaising to campus units such as the Academic Writing Program, Oral Communication Program, or First Year Experience Program, and providing general reference and instructional assistance. Service includes a variety of work for the Libraries, University and/or profession, typically through service on committees beyond the assigned area of responsibility. Scholarship and creativity may come in several forms, but typically relating to undergraduate education.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Coordinates and delivers library information literacy instruction for first-year students primarily focused on general education, first year experience, and living-learning programs.
• Develops and maintains student learning objectives and assessment for UMD Libraries first-year information literacy program.
• Develops partnerships with academic programs that support the first-year experience. Acts as a library liaison to relevant campus units.
• Applies learning theories and knowledge of educational technologies to develop, deliver and support the creation of instructional modules, online learning objects, and other materials for library instruction and information literacy.
• Collaborates with colleagues to support the continuous improvement of the Research and Learning Division’s instructional programs and practices.
• Collaborates with UMD Libraries Research and Teaching Fellows to develop new learning objects and improve teaching practices.
• Contributes to the Libraries’ general reference service online and in-person.
• Participates in various library and University teams, groups, committees, as well as in activities of professional organizations and/or community groups related to librarianship. Applies focus on excellence and an ability to meet standards for professional contributions in the area of service and scholarship
• Performs other duties, as assigned.
For more information please see job posting https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/43699